Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Evacuation

Each year, as part of the office's Occupational Health and Safety requirements, we have a trial evacuation of the building (usually done a couple of floors at a time). Today was the day (actually Monday). I spent part of the bus ride in to town this morning reviewing my warden procedures - and wondering how I would have gone if the evacuation had been unannounced - the way it will be for the rest of the non-warden staff. The question of why wardens receive advance notice was raised by a friend last week - and it is a good point ... and one that has me determined to be more familiar with my warden procedures on a day-to-day basis.
The evacuation went fine - we're not timed - which is just as well because we had to descend from Level 15 to Level 6. It's amazing how you can get slightly disoriented when you walk down a few flights of stairs though - but it's good practice. Our previous evacuation was only two floors worth - and it really isn't the same.
And it's amazing how tender one's legs can be the following day! I couldn't work out this morning why my legs were a bit on the sore side - I thought it might have had something to do with the exercise bike - and then I remembered the stairs, and it made total sense.

No comments: