Friday, August 19, 2005

Soweto Gospel Choir

Sunday night saw us at the Revesby Workers Club to catch the Soweto Gospel Choir. The performance was amazing - the costumes, the dancing - and, of course, the singing. So colourful and alive.
But I did have a question about finger clicking: it seemed to be less loud when the choir were clicking with their left hands. Can you click as loudly with both hands? Can you click with both hands?
There was another issue from the evening for me. Near the end of the performance it was announced that they were going to perform the South African National Anthem, and they asked everyone to rise. Just before this (knowing it was on the program) I had wondered if they would ask people to stand, whether people would stand (when asked or spontaneously) and whether I would be one of the ones who did said stand.
Raised a Jehovah's Witness, I was taught not to stand/sing national anthems - in fact, I had received a reprimand visit from Brothers in the congregation after my performance at a school event - during which I mouthed the words - I didn't sing them. In my mind, it was okay to do that and not be contrary to teachings. Unfortunately, it wasn't seen this way by them.
So, as I sat there on Sunday night, I found myself asking if that dogma was still running around my head. In the end, I decided that it probably was, but by standing, I was showing respect for the choir and their beliefs, not making a statement about my own isms.

No comments: