Saturday, February 11, 2006

In the US of A

It's 7.25am in San Francisco, 2.25am back home in Sydney, but I think I am slowly getting used to the time difference. Not that that's the only difference here in the land of the free and the home of the brave. (Slight pause as I go looking for the words of the American National Anthem and try to remember if it really is called The Star Spangled Banner.)
I'm sitting in front of a couple of newspapers - USA Today and San Ramon Valley Times - and still cannot get over their size. They seem to be a strange hybrid mix of broadsheet and tabloid which should make them fairly easy to read on public transport - but having seen the traffic back-ups on the local freeways - I'm not sure if there are people out there eschewing their vehicles for MUNI - SF's public transport network.
I had a quick look through USA Today over my STARBUCKS coffee (STARBUCKS is all in capital letters because I couldn't work out whether to capitalise the B if it was in lower case.) While it felt familiar, it took me until the final section, Life, to realise that I am a regular reader of USAToday - the electronic version is delivered to me each day via Avantgo onto my Palm (or Pocket PC).

No comments: