Friday, March 17, 2006

Not so hard "Cell"

I have just finished reading Stephen King's latest novel Cell. The Fictionwise site describes it thus:
There's a Reason Cell Rhymes with Hell. There are one hundred and ninety-three million cell phones in the United States alone. Who doesn't have one? Stephen King's utterly gripping, gory*, and fascinating novel doesn't just ask the question "Can you hear me now?" It answers it with a vengeance.
It took me a little while to get into it (the premise of a Pulse sent through mobile phones that would make people go crazy) seemed a bit far fetched. But once I settled into the read, I found I couldn't put it down (made easier by reading it as an eBook on Palm). And, of course, now I really am noticing how many people carry cell phones (or mobile phones as we call them here in Australia), how many talk on them out in public and on public transport. I even counted pictures of three people with mobile phones in the paper this morning.
Don't get me wrong, I like a mobile - at one point there I found I was noting what models people were carrying (that did scare me!) - but there ARE a lot of them!
* They're not wrong about this - one of the reasons I found it a bit hard to get into.

No comments: