Monday, July 31, 2006

Amazing

I have finally had a decent cup of coffee on a plane. But it wasn't good enough that I felt impelled to have the second one. I thought about it and decided not to push my luck. This is of course partly due to the law of diminishing utility. The first one is the best - and each one thereafter loses something. I'm not sure if this also works the other way. Take two instances - one where you love ice cream and are about to have your first one in a very long time. The first will taste much better than the second one. But what if it were something not nice that you were going to have - does the second one become more palatable rather than less? Do you become used to it - although it would probably take more than one go to get used to grubs or something?

No comments: