Saturday, July 01, 2006

Time Out

It's not often that you score 1.5 hours of "free time", but that's what happened this morning when I arrived at the airport (unfashionably early as always) to find that my 6.30am flight to Brisbane had been cancelled. They were able to get me on the 8am flight - so I'm glad I was early (how do you get a plane load of people onto the next already booked plane?). But it gave me a chance to have some unstructured time with the laptop, my wireless connection, the daily newspaper, and some breakfast. Gotta love it.
But the other thing it gave me was the opportunity to see how some writers might have some ideas. I have long been a fan of Stephen King's work and as I looked out the window, watching the night turn to day, with the planes at the gates turning from dull to bright as the sun rose, it occured to me that this might have given Mr King part of the idea for the Langoliers - where people are inadvertently cast back to the past and somehow have to get back to now. The new day (and things from it) are bright and shiny with a "glow" to them; yesterday, by comparison, is a little stale.
I was thinking of the Langoliers only recently following a call for help in The Daily Telegraph. A gentleman couldn't remember the name of the movie (mini-series) and as soon as I read it all I could think was "The Langoliers are coming ... the Langoliers are coming". I think I am going to have to rewatch now to see who the Langoliers are - and why they are feared. The cameo appearance of Stephen King is an added bonus (is there any other kind?).

No comments: