Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Shoes

On the way to work this morning I noticed, yet again, pairs of shoes hanging from overhead wires. This was shown in the film "Wag the Dog" as a way of showing support for a soldier caught behind enemy lines - but what does it mean in the real world? And where do the shoes come from? Do people carry a spare pair with them or do they get overtaken by the moment and rip them off their feet, hurl them up and then hobble home or get a friend to give them a piggyback? And why does it seem to be only sandshoes that end up on high?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kaz
I would love to tell you that it was a secret ritual steeped in mystery and magic or that it was just the hi-jinx of local lads weaving their way home from a big night on the tiles.The truth is that it used to be the signal to all junkies in the area that a dealer has moved in. I'm not sure if it still has this connotation but I would assume it would because how else would you advertise? How do I know this I hear you ask....well lets just say that not all my friends have walked the straight and narrow even if I have.
D