Sunday, June 03, 2007

Titanic - an interactive experience

... That would be the old type of interactive experience ... i.e. the wonderful world of paper engineering and pop-up books. I have somewhere in my collection two fabulous books by Jan Pienkowsi (not sure of that spelling) who does the most wonderfully detailed pop-up books. But back to the Titanic. While walking through various bookstores in Newtown today I came across the Titanic book - perfectly sized for a coffee table book with its eye-catching silver cover. As well as pop-ups throughout, including one of the ship which folds out on either end, there are un-covers and slides-ups.
Other curios seen on my bookshop trek were a watch with the numbers in randon order, a storybook for Shrek the Third including 40 images from the movie (I didn't look at this closely - I'm planning to go to the movie when it is released later this week and didn't want to spoil any of its surprises), a Moleskin City book where it comes with a map of the city eg London, and lots of blank pages so you can fill in all the details of your stay there. There was also a new version Kama Sutra (not sure if it was illustrated or not); The Erotic Museum of Berlin - which was on a shelf too high up for me to reach; a collection of old Dickens' volumes; and a talking book on Neuro Linguistic Program(m)ing. I could also have purchased a mini construction kit for my desk, or "The Writers Block" which was filled with ideas which, should they stall, would get one's creative juices flowing again. Oh, and an Itty Bitty Buddha (in a tin).

No comments: