Thursday, August 14, 2008

Homily

"Everybody needs to steal something from someone they love" said one of the characters on Dead Like Me, an interesting series I stumbled upon a week ago. It tells the story of a young girl who is killed by a toilet seat falling from space and finds herself in an "undead" condition, She has all her memories but none of her looks - in that she doesn't look like she did while she waa alive - so she will not be recognized by people who knew her. Her new role in life - and she appears to have no choice in this - is as a Grim Reaper but not THE Gtim Reaper. She and others like her release people's souls as their physical bodies meet their demise, The program is full of quirk as the Reapers themselves deal with being undead and with the greater questions of death and life. Even though I'm only the pilot and 5 episodes in, I'm glad I picked up the second series on DVD too.
But back to the quote with which I started this post: it seemed to be suggesting that we should all have something with which to remember people by - especially those we care about. The "stealing" reference I'm not quite so sure about. It makes the idea seem just that little bit creepy (but maybe that's just me).

No comments: