Sunday, September 11, 2005

More Shanghai

Having a nap this afternoon seems to have been a really good idea. I had forgotten how draining jet lag and late nights can be (not to mention emotional exhaustion keeping that plane up in the air for 12 hours!).
       I am still trying to get the hang of how Shanghai's streets work. I keep thinking it's on a rectangular grid - but I don't think it is. I wonder if it has anything to do with being in the Northern Hemisphere - apparently the sun being in a different position (relatively) in the sky, can be quite confusing. And even though I couldn't see the sun through today's cloud cover, I'm sure I knew it was up there, and not where I thought it should have been.
       There was no shortage of people to talk to today. I feel as though I've said "No thank you" to most of the touts in Shanghai's Nanjing Road (and there are a few); I would have felt better saying "no" if I could have said it in Cantonese/Mandarin.
       The other people I was talking to were tourists visiting Shanghai themselves. First there was two young men who were visiting from Tian (home of the Terra Cotta soldiers), both students, but one worked in an import/export business so he could speak English and a little German. They are in Shanghai for a convention and were off to a tea ceremony, after having spent 4 hours going through the Shanghai Museum. It was outside this, near the fountain, that they approached me. At first I thought there were touters ... but no.
       Next was a young couple, again students, again from Tian. She started talking to me as I sat outside the Museum checking over my tourist map, again trying to work out which way is which. She and her partner have been in Shanghai for 3 days and have 4 days more. It was her first visit to Shanghai, and his second. Both he and the English speaker from the first pair, had been called Jackie. When I asked the first one if that was like Jackie Chan - he said "no ... Jackie Chan is a big banana, I am only a small potato!".
       And lastly there were a group of Chez workers who are at a town about 30km from Shanghai for the next four weeks working on the new Chinese VolksWagen. They were looking for street markets, and even though my tourist map had the Flower and Bird Markets (which should be around here somewhere!) they were after something a bit more exciting. Since they hadn't found Nanjing Road yet, I pointed them in that direction so their group could go shopping. [I had read on the plane yesterday about the Chinese VW - if I remember correctly, it's the first time it's been produced outside of Germany, and I think it's also going to be a petrol/electric hybrid - but don't quote me on that.)

       Shanghai seems to be a vertical city, a bit like Hong Kong (although not to the same extent). I seem to be turning the camera on its side all the time to get shots. Or maybe it's just that I'm taking photos mainly of tall buildings?
       I have been on the lookout for good Chinglish throughout the day and have only managed to find two bits so far:
       * Good Good Sex in Shanghai Health Care (although maybe this doesn't really qualify), and
       * Bund Sightseeing Tunnel is just so myterious.
Observation:
       * Some menus in Shanghai are printed in both Mandarin and English. The Mandarin is on the top! This is important because not remembering it can lead to your getting the watermelon milkshake rather than the banana smoothie! (Mmmm [not] watermelon milkshake!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Karen,

Did you go into the Museum or just sit outside to chat up the (not so) locals?

Don't go working too hard. That hotel suite looks like it will be tough to take, not.

TK