Monday, September 19, 2005

Shanghai Krispy Kreme Queue - mystery solved

It took me ages - okay, it really meant I just had to walk to the other side of the block - but that's 1, 2, 3 streets the shortest way ... and crossing the street in Shanghai takes forever. You have to look right, look left, look right and then remember the rule that just because you're crossing with the green light - it doesn't mean everything will stop for you: cars going straight ahead usually do, but not turning right into the street where you're walking, and certainly not moped, bicycles, scooters, motorbikes etc. etc. etc. They are trying to work on enforcing a culture which gives pedestrians right of way on crossings, but that's some way away, given how ingrained the current set-up is.
But where was I - yes - mystery solved. I don't know why I didn't see it before - but the queue is for moon cakes, given that it's the start of Autumn Festival. More on this later (truly) - I want to do it greater justice than I can in the lounge at Singapore airport - and there's a newspaper article in my suitcase that I want to refer to. (Ahem, yes, there is every truth to the rumour that I'm taking all the Shanghai papers home - I want to blog about a number of items in them, and I just didn't have time there.)

No comments: