Thursday, October 06, 2005

Travel warning ...

How would you feel about a planned trip to somewhere if you read about the death of another traveller who was probably killed by a four-metre crocodile - and that this could be the second such fatal attack within weeks - and that this death happened on the same day a surfer fought off a great white shark with his bare hands.
You'd certainly want to know about this wouldn't you - which is probably why the British press is making it known that this is Australia - another name for the great Danger Down Under.
The article quotes an Australian High Commission spokeswoman in London as saying: "There are dangers wherever you go, As you travel, you always have to be careful and look for warnings and signs." These dangers include flora, fauna and nature itself – but there is hope through the suggestions offered by a local, Bob Cooper and his Survival Guide:
  • Spiders: Don't play with them, wear gloves in the garden
  • Jellyfish: Heed swimming signs, check the season
  • Sharks: Don't swim near seals or at sunset, in shark areas
  • Crocodiles: Heed signposts (or maybe they don't!!)
  • Currents: Only swim where Royal Lifeguards are on duty
  • Plants: Don't eat them
The other thing worth noting about the article was the comments. I’d copy a few of them here – but really, there are just too many good ones – the mite, the badger, the lip-stinging jellyfish, and the poor driving! But one worth repeating is: I am not going to Australia. I value my life too much. I don't want to wake up with a snake in my bed or a crocodile at my doorstep. No way. I'm sticking with Britain. Mo Ham, UK
Obviously Mo Ham had not read today’s news about how a woman revealed she came face to face with a crocodile - in a village duck pond in Cornwall. Stacey Clayton was feeding the ducks with baby daughter Alanna when she spotted what looked like a 2ft log in the water, says the Sun. Stacey, 20, said: "Then I realised it had eyes. I thought to myself: "Logs don't blink!"
"I threw a stone at it and it lifted its head and looked straight at me. I saw its tail and about a dozen teeth coming down from its jaw." Stacey fled home in St Blazey, Cornwall, and called the RSPCA. Officials think the beast may be a Cayman - a relative of the crocodile. Caymans are sometimes kept as pets and the RSPCA reckons the pond predator has escaped from its owner. Another local had reported seeing a moorhen being dragged below the surface of the pond by an unseen creature.

No comments: