Monday, April 26, 2021

Powers of observation - not

I would hate to have to pick someone out of a police line-up. Not because it would mean I had been in close proximity to a crime (although there would be a bit of that) but because I don't really recognise faces* and am sometimes not that observant. Take today: I was at one of the local coffee shops getting a takeaway coffee and I noticed they seem to have replaced one of their tables: where there was now an art deco black and white table and chairs set there had been an old school table and chairs. I must have been distracted then because I noticed the bottle on the counter - filled with water, some greenery and one of the tiniest coloured fish I've ever seen. As I watched it, the owner came over to ask if I could see it - yes - and then took me over to the art deco table to show me the other two fish "bottles" there. Truly I had not even seen them although I was looking straight at the table! What else do we miss seeing in everyday life?  I'm thinking there might be more than we could imagine.  
*This has a name - Prosopagnosia - it is also known as face blindness or facial agnosia.  

No comments: