Monday, September 25, 2006

Replacement Palm

My newish Palm LifeDrive stopped working last weekend - wouldn't even turn on. So I rang Palm to arrange a replacement - and of course we went through the general "have you tried this, have you tried that" and finally they gave me a replacement number and the process started.
The process is supposed to go like this:
  1. Get the replacement number from Palm.
  2. Send in your Palm - with this number - to their drop-off centre.
  3. They will send you an email saying that the Palm has been received.
  4. Receipt of the Palm starts the process for a replacement to be couriered to you.
  5. You receive the Palm and rejoice in having it back.
Well, I sent the Palm off on Monday afternoon - and I didn't hear a word until 10:15am on Wednesday morning when the replacement Palm arrived. A couple of hours later I received an email telling me it had been despatched, and the next day I received an email telling me they had received my old unit.
Great work Palm!! I don't give a jot about the comms as long as I have the LifeDrive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sucks! Another brand I believe in - Sony. My palm is actually the Sony Clie UX50. They have a service centre in town, and I sent it over on a sat night after dinner with some friends. Monday morning, I received a call from their technician, who then asked me if I had backed up my data, and if not would I like for him to back it up for me, under the understanding that Sony will not be held liable for any data that was not backed up due to password protected data. It was ready for collection by Tues late afternoon.

Did I mention that I sent in my Sony Camera for repair as well (the LCD screen was shot) and they repaired it for me Free of Charge (after the warranty period!) as a goodwill.

Key learning - if you have multiple devices from the same company, send them for repairs together, if possible. You'll be rewarded for your loyalty. At least Sony does ;)