Friday, March 14, 2008

Painting a (very) different picture?

I read an article a while back about a US congressional candidate who drew some criticism for having an "enhanced" photo in his campaign material. It was "enhanced" in that it was his head attached to an image of a different body - which made him look thinner. At the time, I didn't think much of it ... until I was seduced into playing with a friend's child's Wii (and as I wrote that I was aware of how not very good that could sound!) and she insisted I construct my "avatar" aka online personality. Well, you know, I found myself with a slightly different physique, hair colour and skin tone. And who in the real world wouldn't do that? Or want it to be done to them? Well, okay, maybe US Presidential hopeful Barack Obama may have cause to object if the Clinton Publicity Machine did "doctor its TV Ad to make him blacker" as per a recent headline in Wired where it raised Daily Kos diarist's charge that Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign fiddled with debate footage for an attack ad, making Sen. Barack Obama look darker. (Mmmm ... darker - as in broody and mysterious - no, perhaps not.)

No comments: