Monday, February 16, 2009

An uncertain tale

AKA Vacuum Cleaner 1; Lizard ? ... Well, there really isn’t that much more to say about this, except that it’s probably proof, yet again, if it were needed, that I can only concentrate on one thing at a time. The lizard was hiding behind the power point under the sideboard, among the cat-fur tumbleweeds. As I whooshed them up, I noticed movement as the lizard made a dash for it; tail-less, but whether that was from the vacuum cleaner or some previous encounter, I couldn’t tell. (I’ve never thought to ask before: does a lizard tail amputation look like a wound, or does it sever cleanly?) I encouraged it to “run” or at least hide properly, and determined to keep the nozzle well away from it – until I was distracted by Em, our timid cat, as she made a dash from under the table where she had been hiding, past the vacuum cleaner and up the hall, slipping and sliding on the floor boards as she went. When I was sure she was away okay, I turned back to the vacuuming, just in time to wonder what that “long skinny black thing” was – as it disappeared into the nozzle. I think Mr Lizard might have fared better if I hadn’t emptied the vacuum dust repository before I started cleaning today (and yes, NOW I know NOT to press the button on the top, because that makes the bottom swing open, dumping the contents on the floor). I turned off the vacuum and emptied it straight away but couldn’t find an intact lizard (sans tail) in there so I’m not sure what happened to it. I shook the hose a few times but nothing fell out so I can only hope it’s in there, clinging, spiderlike, inside the hose until it thinks it’s okay to come out. It has about a week to make its escape – hopefully it still can!

No comments: