Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Are we ready?

I worry about Sydney's level of readiness should a terrorist attack ever take place. This particular concern follows last Friday's parade for Women in Policing which closed down George Street in the CBD. I left the office just after noon to collect Sooz - I wanted to be at the Day Surgery Centre at 1.15pm to collect her. The bus ride takes 15 minutes (tops) and I figured I might have to wait for the bus - so no problem. Not a chance. If there was publicity about the Parade and road closure and alternate bus routes - I wasn't the only one who missed them! The CBD was a mess for people and transport. And - my point is - the authorities knew about this and hopefully had put some planning in place for it - so why was it such a shambles? And if this is what happens for a known event - what's going to happen if it's something more sinister (and I sincerely hope it never is!)?

No comments: