Saturday, July 09, 2005

More Sudoku

I am still enjoying Sudoku even though I am sure I am not even close to pronouncing it properly! I had been playing it on Palm but that was slightly unsatisfactory - you couldn't do "pencil marks" when figuring out what numbers might work in a particular space - and it would show only the numbers that could fit in a space, rather than all 9. While this could be seen as an (unfair) advantage it made it harder for (give me no hints) me! I could only click on a box when I was positive what went there. But the great news is that there's been an update of the Sudoku for Palm program. You can now do "pencil marks" which allows you to have multiple numbers in a space while you're in the throes of your figurings - and you can opt to see all digits not just "valid digits". I feel less like a person who might inadvertently cheat now!
Of course the other thing is that there is also a Hong Kong connection - I received an email from Sooz's brother about a retired judge, Wayne Gould, there who wrote a computer program that produces Sudoku puzzles. He's just been featured in the Hong Kong Standard.

3 comments:

The Navigator said...

Hi Kazbah,

I have seen the pronunciation written as "Sue-DOE-koo", but my sister-in-law who speaks Japanese assures me that the 'DOE' bit is very short, which would make it a bit more like "Sue-DOCK-oo".

Then there's the question as to whether it is spelt "Su Doku" or "Sudoku". Sudoku seems to have more support (according to Google there are about twice as many entries showing Sudoku than there are for Su Doku).

So take your pick! I guess the important thing is to enjoy it and have fun!

regards,
Tim
For your Sudoku Daily Challenge:
http://Sudoku.InfoForLiving.com

Anonymous said...

Play sudoku online Click Here

Anonymous said...

This is a tough sudoku puzzle at Domo-Sudoku.com