Friday, May 16, 2008

Numbers

Once upon a time, a thought could enter your head and you could let it go because it required too much effort to follow up. But technology has changed that in some instances. The other evening I picked up a small (but thoughtful) gift for my partner and was going to present it as a memento of our having been together for xxxx days - but how many was xxxx? Now, at that point I did a rough mental calculation and came up with around 6,500 (18 years x 365 days - leaving leap years out of the equation for the moment - and not getting into the question about where one starts from if you're not married and don't have a wedding date to count from). Now even at that point I could have stopped, but then I remembered the excellent calculator on one of my Palms which calculates number of days - either by entering two dates and calculating the difference, or entering one date and number of days to calculate the date that is that many days difference. Which is how I now know that on this year on 6/6 is 6666 days. Aren't numbers fun? And no, there is no special significance to the 6's - although 666 does always remind me of a cartoon I once saw about "333" - billed as the not-very-intelligent son of the Devil (666 being known in some circles as t'he "Mark of the Beast" aka the aforementioned Devil).

No comments: