Monday, April 09, 2012

I is for I Want ...

I was saddened today to read of a young Chinese man who had reportedly sold his kidney so he could buy an iPad and an iPhone. This makes a change to the stories (are they true?) of Chinese workers in Apple factories in that country being so unhappy that they choose to end their lives by throwing themselves off the factory at such a rate that nets have been erected around the buildings to try to save their lives. How could electronic devices turn into such masters of destiny? Don't get me wrong, I am an Apple-and-all-things-"i" fan but I want to see another model of capitalism which could see people in the land of manufacture able to afford what they're making without having to sell off body parts; see the company of manufacture still turn a healthy profit, and the rest of us able to use an iDevice without having to question its or our own morality. I don't think that's too much to want ...

1 comment:

Deb said...

My favourite subject .. the evils of consumerism.
Let's hope those nets aren't virtual.