Tuesday, April 10, 2012

K is for Karen

Karen: the language (spoken in the Thailand and Burmese Borderlands); the people (making up 7% of the total Burmese population); the first name (and surname) - as entered in a Google ”vanity search”! The only thing wrong with egosurfing (as looking for yourself on the web is also known) is that you do run the risk of finding out that your namesakes have more interesting lives than you do! But that doesn't stop people opening up a search engine and typing in their name - in fact, nearly half US adult internet users have done it - and at least one Australian (that would be me!). My favourite other me is an egg-blowing, shooting, wheelchair-bound person of mixed origin (Hawaiian/Japanese/Cherokee). I’m definitely intrigued by the me who is into artificial intelligence; and now not totally sure about the GP who seems wonderful (according to the reviews) but has a billing department which isn't. Alas, you do need some patience to find me - I’m so far down in the Google search results that I found my attention wandering off and I’m now thinking of doing that myself ...

3 comments:

Deb said...

Ha. So true. My namesake is a popular country and western singer in the states. Aren't you getting ahead of yourself here Kaz?

Anonymous said...

OMG - what have I done? I was having such a good time writing K, I posted it instead of drafting it - D'oh! Thanks for pointing it out. I'm just going to leave it up though - and not post anything more until it really is time!

mauz said...

The first time I googled myself
I was very taken aback at how many namesakes I had! It was very humbling. I'm just one of many....

(Also got confused with scheduled posts and got ahead of myself.)