Thursday, December 23, 2021

Testing ... testing ...

You would think that it would be reasonable for all States of Australia to have similar restrictions/requirements when it comes to CoVid-19. We were recently over the border in New South Wales (from Queensland) where they are currently recording over 3,000 new cases a day of CoVid and were quite surprised to realise that it wasn't mandatory for people to check-in to venues or businesses, and it also wasn't mandatory for people to wear face masks. Apparently, according to the NSW Premier, they are relying on folk to be responsible "adults" - which is a nice thought but hardly practical in application given that a good percentage of the population seems to think they have no reason to take notice of the "adulting" suggestion.
Being from Queensland, we are used to checking-in and we are currently having to wear facemasks in indoor retail and other settings - so of course, when I visited OfficeWorks in Lismore, I did both. And it's a good thing I did because not long after we arrived back in Queensland, I received an alert letting me know that someone who has tested positive to CoVid had been at OfficeWorks in the same timeframe. I blame myself of course, because while I had checked in, I had not checked out - so it looked as though I had been hanging around OfficeWorks all day ... not an unlikely proposition mind you, but just not what had happened this time.
So, being an adult, I wanted to check what the story was ... and went to the NSW Health CoVid website - only to find out that they don't provide similar contact tracing information to that provided on the Queensland Health site; in Queensland they tell you where, what time, and an idea of what type of contact it could have been. Hmmm ... so nothing I could look up; okay so not ideal ... but I thought, there's another way ... give OfficeWorks a call and see what time the contact had been in their store. No, sorry, they said, when I called, we can't tell you that, because NSW Health doesn't tell us.
No wonder the test facilities in NSW are being slammed - especially if people have no real way of knowing if they are/were in danger of actually being in close contact with someone who has tested CoVid positive. My contact alert said I didn't need to get CoVid tested unless I started displaying symptoms .. so I'll be watching out for that.

No comments: